Home Insurance

For most of us, our home is the largest investment we will make. At GLM Insurance, we have three generations of expertise to help you get covered correctly.

What is Homeowners Insurance?

Homeowners insurance provides financial protection against disasters for the house and the valuables inside or on your property. Your homeowner policy also covers your liability or legal responsibility for any injuries and property damage you or members of your family cause to other people and additional living expenses if you are not able to live in your home because of a covered loss.

Personal Property

Coverage pays for damage your personal items due to causes specified in your policy.

Other Structures

Coverage pays for damage to buildings not attached to the home such as a shed or a detached garage.

Loss of Use

Provides coverage if you are displaced because of a covered event and cannot live in your home. The payment will be for the least amount of time necessary to repair or replace the damage or the least amount of time required for the household to relocate if the homeowner has to permanently move.


Covers for bodily injury or property damage to someone else if you or another insured are found responsible. Typically coverage only applies to negligence and not intentional damage or injuries.

Medical Payments

Will pay the necessary medical expenses (no more than three years) for someone injured on your property. It does not cover the medical expenses for household residence, except for your household employees.


What questions should be considered when you shop for insurance?

If your house was completely damaged, what would it cost to rebuild at today’s prices?

Do you have any jewelry, guns, or a collection of stamps or coins?

If someone is injured on my property, could I be sued for medical expenses?

What would it cost to replace my personal property if my house was damaged in fire?


What is not covered?

Events that are excluded are named on the policy. Events like acts of terror or war are not covered. Damage caused by floods, earthquakes, and poor maintenance is not covered. You must buy a separate policy for flood coverage. However, earthquake coverage can be added as an endorsement to your homeowners policy. Maintenance-related problems are the homeowners' responsibility.


What if I don’t own but rent?

You will need to purchase a renters policy. Your landlord covers the structure, you cover what’s inside. Renters insurance will cover your possessions from fire or smoke, lightning, vandalism, theft, explosion, windstorm, and water damage from plumbing. It also pays the additional costs of temporarily living away from your house or apartment if you can't live in it due to a fire, severe storm or other insured disaster. It covers hotel bills, temporary rentals, restaurant meals and other living expenses incurred while your residence is repaired. Coverage for additional living expenses differs from company to company. 
Renters insurance also provides liability coverage if people are injured at your home or elsewhere by you, a family member or your pet and pays legal defense costs if you are taken to court.


Condominiums and Townhouses

Your association has insurance to cover the commonly owned property and liability for the association but that doesn’t provide coverage for you. GLM will help you get the coverage for your personal property - like a break in, water damage to your living room walls, or someone injuring themselves slipping on your wet kitchen floor. Condominium and Townhouse policies help protect your personal property and the interior of your unit.


Are you properly covered?

Allow us to take a few minutes today to make sure you are prepared for tomorrow. Contact us and we will give you a free policy review and make sure you are properly covered.